Note: This is my personal note for the following youtube video Learn How To Be Set Free From Self-Destruction with Rick Warren.
7 weapons of self-destruction
- Uncontrolled thoughts
- Insecurity (don’t be a poser)
“Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death?” Romans 7:24 NLT
The answer: Roman 8
1. Remind myself daily what Jesus did for me.
“So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. And because you belong to him, the power of the life-giving Spirit has freed you from the power of sin that leads to death. The law of Moses was unable to save us because of the weakness of our sinful nature. So God did what the law could not do. He sent his own Son in a body like the bodies we sinners have. And in that body God declared an end to sin’s control over us by giving his Son as a sacrifice for our sins. He did this so that the just requirement of the law would be fully satisfied for us, who no longer follow our sinful nature but instead follow the Spirit.” Romans 8:1-4 NLT
- God won’t judge you because all the things you did wrong because he took all the judgements on the cross.
- You are still gonna make mistakes and looks stupid, but no condemnation on you, no shame or guilt on you.
- You have a more strong power (SPIRIT) than will power.
- Keeping laws(比如规定自己必须做什么) won’t help because nature/heart keeps unchanged. (Example of cleaning a pig)
2. Ask the Holy Spirit to give me better thoughts.
“Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires, but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace.” Romans 8:5-6 NIV
- You can’t forcefully change your feelings, what you can do is change the way you think.
- It’s all about the “minds set” you choose.
- Replacement: if any negative thought comes to you, don’t resist it, you replace it. (Don’t stand there saying “I don’t want it”, just walk away and slam the door.)
- Give the Holy Spirit full access to my mind.
- You can not act like a Christian until you are a Christian. (“The sinful nature is hostile to God; it does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so. Those controlled by the sinful nature cannot please God.” Romans 8:7-8 NIV)
3. Realize I have a new ability to say “NO”.
“Let the Spirit direct your lives, and you will not satisfy the desires of the human nature.” Galatians 5:16 GNB
“But you are not controlled by your sinful nature. You are controlled by the Spirit if you have the Spirit of God living in you. (And remember that those who do not have the Spirit of Christ living in them do not belong to him at all.)” Romans 8:9 NLT
“Therefore, dear brothers and sisters, you have no obligation to do what your sinful nature urges you to do.” Romans 8:12 NLT
- Apart from willpower, I have the Spirit, the God’s power.
- You still have those desires, but can say NO to those desires, you won’t satisfy those desires.
- (Why do I want to say NO to nature desires?) Not every nature desire is good.
4. Turn my thoughts to god whenever I’m afraid.
“Those who are led by God’s Spirit are God’s children. For the Spirit that God has given you does not make you slaves and cause you to be afraid; instead, the Spirit makes you God’s children, and by the Spirit’s power we cry out to God, “Father! my Father!” God’s Spirit joins himself to our spirits to declare that we are God’s children.” Romans 8:14-16 GNB
“For the Spirit that God has given us does not make us timid; instead, his Spirit fills us with power, love, and self-control.” 2 Timothy 1:7 GNB
- Stop focusing on my fear, start focusing on my Father.
- When I’m afraid, remind myself I belong to a family of which I’m a child of God, and God will take care of me.
- What do people fear most? The fear of things being out of control. **And I feels I’ll lose my mind. BUT **”I’m broken, but I’m not crazy.”
- Don’t be afraid of the Holy Spirit, it won’t give me afraid, but it would give me more love, human, nature, and self-control.
5. Focus on the long-term, not the short-term!
“Since we are his children, we will possess the blessings he keeps for his people, and we will also possess with Christ what God has kept for him; for if we share Christ’s suffering, we will also share his glory. I consider that what we suffer at this present time cannot be compared at all with the glory that is going to be revealed to us.” Romans 8:17-18 GNB
- The longer term you think, the more successful you’ll be. (Harvard study)
- Short-term pain for long-term benefit.
6. Remind myself that God is good and in control.
“Everything created is subjected to frustration… waiting to be liberated from its bondage to decay… All of creation groans in pain like childbirth… and we groan inwardly (内心的呻吟).” Romans 8:19-25
- Yes, life is unfair, but God is good and in control.
- Pain/suffering in my life is NOT optional, but misery/moaning/bitterness is. (生活的痛苦无法避免，但是我可以选择自己的反应)
- I’ll overcome bitterness by remembering 4 truths
- The Holy Spirit is praying for me. (“Also, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know how to pray as we should. But the Spirit himself speaks to God for us, even begs God for us with deep feelings that words cannot explain. God can see what is in people’s hearts… the Spirit speaks to God for his people in the way God wants.” Romans 8:26-27 NCV)
- God is using everything for good in my life. Although may not be all good, but he uses it all FOR good, and God is greater than all my enemies. (“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” Romans 8:28 NIV)
- God wants me to succeed. (“What shall we say about such wonderful things as these? If God is for us, who can ever be against us?” Romans 8:31 NLT)
- God will give me what I need. (Since he did not spare even his own Son but gave him up for us all, won’t he also give us everything else?” Romans 8:32 NLT)
7. Trust that God will never stop loving me. (无条件的爱)
“I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Romans 8:38-39 NLT
- Fear of rejection will result in insecurity.
- Jesus loves me, for no condition.